Posts Categorized: Uncategorized
It’s that time of year, so if you’re looking to give a book for Christmas and you’re going to make it one of mine, bless your heart. If you want to get a book autographed or personalized to that special someone (even if that special someone is you) go to my bookshop. Used the code XMAS20 to get a 20% discount.
I hope you’ll indulge me for a moment. This is personal.
We have a family member with MDS blood cancer so as a thank you for all the treatment she has received, I’m raising money for THE LEUKEMIA & LYMPHOMA SOCIETY. I’m hoping to raise at least $2,000. On September 23rd I’m going to do a self-supported 100km bike ride and I’d love it if you’d sponsor me. If any local riders want to join me on part of the route to pace me during the ride, let me know. If you’d like to buy autographed books for your donation, let me know. Every little bit helps. Thank you for your support.
If you’d like to donate, please go to my fundraising page here.
BLACK CAT WEEKLY has published my short story HAITIAN DIVORCE (which is inspired by the lyrics of the Steely Dan song) in their latest issue. The story previously appeared in the anthology, DIE BEHIND THE WHEEL. Thanks to Barb Goffman for requesting the story. You can nab a copy here!
My AUTHOR PROFESSIONALISM workshop starts July 3rd. You only get one shot at making a good impression with a reader, editor, publisher, bookstore, librarian and even your fellow writers. Yet, I’ve seen lots of authors put their feet in their mouths so many times. So let me be your Professor Higgins to your Eliza Doolittle. The workshop would explore the following:
- Lesson #1: What it is to be a professional writer
- Lesson #2: Interacting with your fellow writers
- Lesson #3: Interacting with publishing professionals
- Lesson #4: Interacting with your readers and the public
- Lesson #5: When the going gets rough–how to handle it and protect yourself
- Lesson #6: The Good Author Plan
So if you want to learn how to interact with the publishing industry smartly and effectively, you can sign up here.
My QUERY LETTERS, SYNOPSIS WRITING AND PITCHING workshop starts May 1st. The call for this workshop came at the suggestion of one of my previous workshop students. The workshop would explore the following:
- Crafting a query letter directed at agents and publishers and how to perform a coordinated agent/publisher search.
- Writing synopses. Yes, I said “synopses.” Multiple synopses are needed for book title because you’ll need a 200-word synopsis, 1-page synopsis, 2-page synopsis and a 4-page synopsis. There’s no such thing as a standard synopsis length…sadly.
- There are plenty of opportunities to pitch face-to-face with industry professionals—both formally and informally—so it pays to have your elevator pitch in your back pocket ready to pull out at a moment’s notice.
So if you want to learn how to interact with the industry and present your story concept effectively, you can sign up here.